The Remote Sensing unit of VITO processes petabytes of earth observation data. We primarily specialise in Big Data analysis with the use of machine learning and deep learning techniques in the application workflows. That is our passion: the extraction of information from the vast amounts of incoming images. Information required by our clients. Our extensive group of clients can be found within the domains of land use, civil infrastructure, agriculture, forestry, water management, heritage and ecological development. Visit https://remotesensing.vito.be for more information about our activities.
- You will join our service-oriented R&D team and contribute to the development of Remote Sensing products & services, mainly in the context of environmental applications.
- In close collaboration with the application scientists, you will support the algorithm development but mainly bring existing algorithms into an operational stage and implement them into production workflows by using Python, R and C++.
- You collaborate on cluster computing, machine learning and deep learning.
- You help translating user requirements into a system design.
- You report your progress and results to your colleagues-scientists, our customers, and our management.
- You have a B.sc or M.Sc. degree with expertise in computer sciences.
- You have hands-on programming experience in Python, C++ and/or Java (minimum of 5 years work experience).
- You have experience with big data tools (Spark/Hadoop, S3/HDFS).
- Knowledge of R, GIS, image processing or machine learning techniques is a plus.
- You have a sound knowledge of Linux.
- You have a pragmatic, user-focused approach linking science to services .
- You work easily in a team and are equally capable of working independently.
- Given the international nature of this position, an excellent knowledge of English is essential.
- A competitive salary
- A range of benefits including allowances, insurances, adjustable holiday package
- Flexible working hours and workplace
- Innovation is our core asset, therefore it goes without saying that we give our employees the opportunity to undertake additional training and keep up to date in their field of expertise
- The chance to be part of an organisation with an international reputation, known for its advanced technological research and scientific consultancy
- The possibility to actively contribute towards sustainable developments at local, national and global level